Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My First 10 Days in Guatemala



I’m Mary Catherine, one of the amigos studying in Antigua. I live in the other house on the north side of town. But don’t worry… We still have our resident loud bird in the hood.
I got here a day after everyone else since I’m an idiot and bought the wrong plane ticket. However, once I got here I was amazed. It literally is beautiful everywhere you turn. Even the sketchy places are beautiful in their own way. I think the only thing that made me really uncomfortable was when I stopped at the gas station with the guy giving me a ride to Antigua from the airport and there were men armed with assault rifles just hanging out at the gas station. I guess there isn’t as much faith in the police force here.
My host family is really sweet. It’s more of a house mom situation - she’s a single mom with two adult children who aren’t at home much. She cooks ahhhhhmaaazing food! And she is super cool about us going out and having friends over (I was a little worried we’d be treated like toddlers.) the first week, we also had two fun roommates…
Schtein: he’s from Holland. He can’t speak Spanish to save his life, likes to go out, and says any “S” word “sch”. Ergo… Schafety, schwimming, etc…
Victor on the other hand is the definition of the party going European, from Denmark. I don’t think we saw him once not hungover in the morning. But hey, what happens in Antigua stays in Antigua… Right?
So let me tell you about the fireworks here. They are pretty much the essential accessory to every wedding, funeral, birthday, celebration… Anything. I once got up in the morning to study for a quiz and they were going off at 6:58am. The first time I saw them in person, they were being set off in front of the church by our house, La Merced. I ducked, thinking my life might end right then and there. I happened to notice that no one else shared in my overreaction and felt a little humiliated.
I loved the market we went to on Saturday. You could not name everything happening or being sold in that market. There were the Mayan women in their typical garb, mestizo women, and gringos like us looking confused. In retrospect, I should never have said to Ozzy, “We’ll meet you there.” There is no “meeting” at the market! It was sheer luck that we found them after about an hour of browsing. The market is kind of like a dark cave of doom and fruit. And some nasty meat, which Jake has already talked about. But it’s beautiful at the same time. I wish I had such an intimate relationship with my neighbors and members of the community - you just don’t get that in the US anymore. The only time I am guaranteed to see anyone is my water polo practice at night! Other than that, life is a crapshoot when it comes to finding time for my friends.
I love the mountains in Antigua the most. I’m not surprised at all that they fascinated the original peoples who settled here. Sometimes, they scare me, and others they seem to wrap up the city in a protective blanket. I used to live in east Tennessee as well, and I think there’s some “back to your roots” kind of thing going on. But anyways, as I’m writing this, the mountains are enclosed in a pink and blue misty cloud. It’s mysterious and makes me remember how small I am.
On a less serious note, I’m hoping by writing this it will make permanent our plan (at least in our house) to throw our textbooks into a volcano. When we’re studying on an afternoon full of sunshine, it just seems right. Also, maybe the roosters that live next door. I’ve had some vivid fantasies about making those stupid gallos into McPollos (the humorous name for McChicken sandwiches) or chicken nuggets. No, it’s not necessary for you to crow at 5am. Period.
That’s all I can remember to write about for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment